[scribus] Lack of Style Overrides

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Thu Aug 18 00:14:04 UTC 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:07 AM, john at wexfordpress.com wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:44:40 -0600
> Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:
>
>> I really, really do not not like how only some (but not all) of a
>> paragraph's style settings can be overridden in the Properties
>> window.  This means that each and every time I want to modify the
>> left indent, right indent, tab settings, etc for a specific
>> paragraph, I need to declare another damned style.  Why can't each
>> setting in a paragraph's style have a complimentary override option
>> outside the context of the Styles manager?  What's with this apparent
>> love affair with styles?  I should have the freedom to format my text
>> however I please, either with or without a style.  In my opinion, a
>> style should only need to be defined when a particular text style is
>> to be repeated in a document.  Otherwise, just format the single
>> occurrence manually.  (Unless you're in Scribus, then forget it and
>> resort to defining yet another bloody style...) ___ Scribus Mailing
>> List: scribus at lists.scribus.net Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net http://forums.scribus.net
>
> (Almost) anything you can do with styles can be done on individual
> paragraphs via the Story Editor.  Just right click on the text frame
> and select "Edit Text."

Unless I'm blatantly missing something, there is no way to define left indent, right indent, hanging indent, space before a paragraph, space after a paragraph, and text baseline offset from within Story Editor (excluding styles, which is the whole point).  Furthermore, since these settings directly impact the placement of characters in a frame, I should want to see changes to their values immediately (for tuning) rather than manually refresh the contents of a frame from the Story Editor.  Don't get me wrong - styles are great and I do use them.  But there are times when I want to deviate a specific layout feature just once in a document, and it's ridiculous to require defining a whole new style just for that one customization.