[scribus] Initial ruins lines (1.3.3)

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Dec 21 08:10:34 UTC 2011

hi rolf-werner,

> Am 20.12.2011 21:15, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
>> On 12/20/2011 10:18 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>>> Just stumbled over this: When I determine an initial of two lines for
>>> the first paragraph, the initial will keep the first two lines slightly
>>> lower so that all subsequent lines are no longer at one height with the
>>> lines in the next column.
>>>
>>> Is there a decent way to solve this? All I found are invisible text
>>> boxes above the two columns keeping them down at different heights. Not
>>> very elegant though
>>>

>> Hi Rolf,
>>
>> If I understand what you're saying, this would be a reason to use align
>> to baseline grid to align the body text of various frames. You may find
>> you need to slightly adjust the Y Pos of the frame with the initial to
>> get this spaced right.
>>
>> Greg
>
> Yes Greg,
>
> that's exactly what I meant: You will have to adjust the frame
> containing the initial or do other tricks to compensate.
>
> Now this is maybe a question to the layout experts here: This could be
> a feature, maybe it just looks better if arranged this way? But
> shouldn't the user be able to choose?

if you place two frames  side by side and have the same line height in
both, you should really alllign the text to the baseline grid.
all the rest is an aproximation and will work as long as you're lucky.

setting the first line offset (PP > text > first line offset) to "line
spacing" will also give you a fix to your specific problem. but you
really should go for aligning to the baseline.

ciao
a.l.e