[scribus] RGB to CMYK not using ICC profile for R=G=B colors

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 16:59:27 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 11:10 AM, Patrick Noffke wrote:

> Another reason why I think this is incorrect behavior is with respect to
> gradients.  If you create a rectangle with Black R=G=B=0 on the ends, and a
> dark red (for example), with R=75, G= 45, B=45 in the middle, then when you
> make the PDF, the black ends will get K only, and the middle will have
> 4-color, with the CMYK coverage depending on the output intent (for the
> SWOPcoated5_240 TAC profile, the middle red CMYK is (40%, 70%, 36%, 76%)).
>   If you want to print this on a high-quality device, which is capable of
> handling high TAC levels, the black ends will be too light from what the
> author intends.  Or to put it another way, if you work with RGB colors, to
> get a nice saturated black on a high quality device, you have to create a
> color like R=0, G=1, B=0.
>
> What do others think?  I'm happy to file a bug report (with a patch), if
> you think it makes sense to change the behavior.

 From time to time, we have this discussion, about what black is, how
black black is, etc. You might consider whether to use rich black in
your instance:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/What_is_Rich_Black%3F

but I don't think that Scribus should make this decision for you. If
someone such as yourself has knowledge of and uses a high-quality
printer, then you would want to be aware of options, but even then,
there are various options.

Greg