[scribus] Concatenating PDFs - quality?

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Dec 23 11:22:16 UTC 2011

Am 22.12.2011 18:52, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 12/22/2011 12:26 PM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> Am 22.12.2011 15:06, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
>>>
>>> I just made a PDF of some vacation photos, for which I had to break up
>>> the Scribus document so that I could work with them in Scribus, then
>>> used pdftk to join them. The result was a >700MB PDF, in which I saw no
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> Do you want to make a photobook out of it? That's what I'm trying here.
>> But the service I found will only accept up to 300 MB, so I worry a bit.
>> How do you send 700 MB? Or do you burn a CD?
>
> Actually, I did this for a presentation on a large HD TV, and it worked
> well.
>
> If I were going to get it printed, I would have bothered to resize
> images, which I'm sure would make it much smaller.
>
> Greg

Yes, I did read about this in the Wiki and played around with the
settings. The photos I use have "only" 6 Megapixels, ca. 2000 x 3000. I
thought they should have 300 dpi at least to appear properly in the
print, do you agree?

With the first 12 pages, I tried to set "Compress photos to 100 dpi"
first, resulting in 15 MB for the PDF. But viewing the resulting PDF
with 400 % on screen, I found the photos had too big pixels to be
printed sharp. When I say "compress to 300 dpi", the resulting PDF has
44 MB, but the photos appear sharp enough. Or is that on-screen
impression misleading?

Sizing down each photo which is to appear somewhat smaller before
inserting it into Scribus is a lot of painful work, isn't it? Could this
be achieved by Scribus itself? (Haven't tried that yet, though there is
a dialog which seems to do right that. But when I see that an untouched
photo which appears in a smaller size on the page has merely 440 dpi,
would it be worth to cut it down to 300 anyway?)

In Gimp, I found two dialogs which look like they could do that, but I
don't know for sure how they actually work.

So I decided to go on with the creative part :-) and layout the pages
first and hoped to stay under the 300 MB limit.

Regards

Rolf

(I don't know when you will answer, maybe I'm out here soon, so have a
nice Christmas, I'll read afterwards...)