[scribus] Washed out images in PDF printing to Adobe

Tom Benjey benjey at pa.net
Sat Jan 1 04:13:14 CET 2011

I cannot imagine why one would print to Adobe Acrobat rather than direct to
a pdf.  Ideally, the result should be the same EXCEPT for potentially the
size of the pdf file.  Scribus sets each letter's position in the document,
whereas Adobe sets each line's position, which, to the best of my knowledge,
results in a smaller pdf file. (My pre-press folks cannot imagine why I use
Scribus since it creates such big files.  Of course, they only know Macs and
In Design.  I doubt they know their OS is a Unix variant.)  But the
difference in output quality might be related to the way Acrobat formats
their pdf files vs. how Scribus does it.  Just a guess, but still cannot
figure why you need to add the extra step.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org

A widely used printer demands that files be in PDF/X-1a:2001 format and, to
the best of my knowledge, Scribus does not yet produce files that meet that
standard. Adobe Acrobat/Distiller produces files that meet that standard, at
least some versions of Acrobat do.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax