[scribus] Problem with Text Flow

bobparham at comcast.net bobparham at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 01:33:12 UTC 2011

I have been trying to maximize the use of Master Pages in Scribus for
writing a book. I have experienced a recurring problem which  I have
approached in two different ways in my search for a solution.The problem
involves getting text imported from MS Word to properly flow from page
to page.

The first approach was to prepare Master Pages for a four page chapter.
I prepared three of them. One was for the first page of a chapter and
had the following elements--Body Text Frame, Chapter Title Text Frame
and a header at the top of the page. Another was Left Master Page
consisting of a Body Text Frame and Header. (The  Header contains Book
Title, Author and Page Number plus a line underneath.) Finally I created
the Right Master Page with the same basic elements as the Left except
using Name of Chapter instead of Book Title & Author name. I then
Applied Master Pages to the four pages previously created in Scribus.

The problem came about when I right clicked in the Body Text Frame of
page 1, clicked Get Text, and went out and got the text.  It filled the
first page Body Text Frame just as it was supposed to do but here is
where things began to go bad. I clicked on this Text Frame, then the
Link Icon and then clicked the Text Frame in page 2. I repeated for page
3. So far so good. Then I clicked the Text Frame Box in page 3, clicked
Link icon and then clicked the Text Frame in Page 4. _This time it
linked to the Header _and a pop up window says "You are trying to link a
page to itself".

I previously had the problem and for a solution tried having Master
Pages for Body Text only. This way I was successful in getting text to
flow properly through all 4 pages. My plan was to create Master Pages
for the Headers alone and then "Apply Master Pages." This was not
successful. Apparently, you can only have one Master Page applied to any
one document page. Is this true?

Sorry this is so lengthy but trying to be as detailed as is needed to
adequately describe the problem. Again, using 1.4.0rc2.

Bob P
--

*Bob Parham*

*People may forget what you did and people may forget what you said but
people will never forget how you made them feel.
*

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")