[scribus] To Outline Or Not To Outline?

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Thu Jul 28 14:21:10 UTC 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 7:59 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> afaik scribus 1.4 never outlines your fonts but embeds them or subset them (the second one being called "outline" for historical reasons".

Okay, that right there is confusing as hell.  In the PDF export GUI, I had believed the fonts were being outlined because they were in the lower "Fonts to outline" list instead of in the "Fonts to embed" list.  (I didn't actually generate the PDF to verify - I will do this.)  Why would I think this (not knowing of any prior history)?  Well, because they're in the "Fonts to OUTLINE" list!  If fonts are being embedded during export, but are communicated as being outlined in the PDF export form, this is clearly a poor GUI design issue.  "Historical reasons" should not come into play when you move from one product version to another, especially when functionality is changed or new features added.  If a font is being embedded (subset or not), it should be in the "Fonts to embed" list.  Period.  If the embedded font is being subset, then it should be indicated as such in the embed list.  Each font in the embed list should have a subset checkbox to the left of it.  Checking this checkbox would subset the font, leaving it unchecked would embed the entire font.  This definitely would be much more intuitive, regardless of any "history".

Mike