[scribus] 600 dpi

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Jun 7 22:00:24 UTC 2011

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 04:40:08PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>> line art.
>> >
>> > FWIW, my HP CLJ 2605dn does up to 1200x1200 black and 600x600
>> colour,
>> > and it's a quite modestly priced machine.
>>
>> Printed text is in some form of vector format. To reproduce it
>> crisply
>> requires much higher dpi when it is rasterized late in the prepress
>> processing. For commercial printers 2500+ is common. The reason your
>> desktop
>> printer has the ability to print 1200 x 1200 is for text, not illos.
>
> The logo I wanted to include in my document was in a vector format,
> SVG,
> but Scribus didn't seem to want to deal with it, so I rasterized it as
> 600x600 PNG. Is there some better way I could have handled this?

I assume the error you received was "Unsupported features" in which
case you have two choices.

a. do what you did, ie make a png of it, or
b. If the import showed, visually check it to see if it is acceptable
to the eye. (Things like blurs cannot be imported but other
manipulations may not show or matter in the final)

Owen