[scribus] Story Mode

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Wed Jun 15 04:18:26 UTC 2011

I now understand all the talk regarding Story Editor in 1.4 - it's crap.  1.3 was better.  Why did we take a step backward instead of forward from 1.3 to 1.4?  Missing is the ability to edit/create styles from within Story Editor, and also missing is the toolbar button is for updating and exiting Story Editor.  It was working fine in version 1.3, echoing comments made by others, I don't see why it had to be mucked up for version 1.4.

Why am I using Story Editor?  Because the Properties window keeps corrupting my text frame!  When I select a line of text to override the applied style with custom settings, the dang UI changes my text selection and applies the customization to the entire frame!  At least with Story Editor, I can (or could) apply styles to selected paragraphs without affecting other paragraphs in the frame.  Unfortunately, there is no support for customizing specific characters within a paragraph, such as making one or two words bold or italic.  The only way to do this is through the Properties window, which keeps changing which text I have selected!  (Very annoying.)

Mike