[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 36, Issue 2: document expansion

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 05:22:50 CET 2011

On Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:59 AM, "Ron Carter" <rrcwlc at gmail.com> wrote:

Does it seem unreasonable to anyone but me that a Scribus document
that occupies 2.5 MB should balloon to 52.6 MB as a pdf document?
What is the typical expansion when preparing pdf's from Scribus?
Ron
I am not certain about whether it is "reasonable" or not. People have given excellent explanations as to why this is the case. However, I have found that the script included in the following link does an excellent job of compressing the PDF file to a reasonable size:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Web_optimised_PDF

I routinely use this script whenever I create a PDF document with Scribus. I find that the resulting compressed document is smaller by more than a factor of ten, and I have been unable to detect any degradation in the quality of the resulting compressed PDF.

I hope that this helps you.