[scribus] Paragraph Justification

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Nov 15 07:54:13 UTC 2011

hi ted
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 06:57:58AM -0700, Mike Sleger wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 2011, at 3:46 AM, Murray Strome wrote:
>>
>>> If a paragraph fits on a single line and almost fills it, using force justify looks better.
>> THAT is the case I was trying to remember!  I too have used force justify in both Word and Scribus because when you have multiple paragraphs, some multi-line and others single-line, it usually looks better if both the left and right margins are aligned for all paragraphs.  When a single-line paragraph is short, normal justify looks better, but when it's just a bit short of a full line, then force justify looks better.
> Many years ago (30+) when I had access to a Triple-I phototypesetter I
> put together an application that did simple page layout and formatting.
> One of the user-settable parameters was a threshold on the length of
> the last line of a paragraph, expressed as a percentage. Final lines
> exceeding the threshold were justified, the others not. The Scribus
> choices "Align Text Justified" and "Align Text Forced Justified" would
> correspond to 100% and 0% respectively.

nice!

the more i read about this topic, the more i think that the forced
justified should really go to a "first/last line" tab and the threshold
you designed 30 years ago should be in there!

if you have any spare time you're welcome to provide a patch :-)

other ideas of the same quality from your prehistorical application are
more than welcome!

have a nice day
a.l.e