[scribus] CMYK

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 11 12:59:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:03:54 -0400
Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/7 Stefan <stmstmstmster at googlemail.com>
>
> > Some notes.
> >
> > You can create greys in two ways:
> >
> > 1.)  50 % K gives a cold looking grey (only black ink)
> >
> > 2.)  50 % CMY gives you a somehow warmer looking grey, it is mixed
> > from three inks.
> >

> > A rich black (deep black) is created with 100 % K and 50% up to
> > 100% C,
> >
> > 100 % K only is often not black enough, if you have a large black
> > box on a page oder a big headline.
> >

> There is an article on rich black in Wikipedia that gives a bit more
> details. I don’t think this article is complete but it's a start.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_black
>
> It’s worth to dig to get a good knowledge of what rich black is about.
> Depending on the printing device and on what is actually printed,
> values may (will) vary and this can (or will) have an effect on the
> final printed result. There are simply no short answers about rich
> black.
>
> Louis
>

> > 2011/10/6 Daniel-S-P <d-s-p at d-s-p.de>:
> > > Key

> > > -------------- n�chster Teil --------------
> > > Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
> > > Dateiname   : signature.asc
> > > Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
> > > Dateigr��e  : 198 bytes
> > > Beschreibung: This is a digitally signed message part
> > > URL         : <
> > http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/attachments/20111006/18dde24a/attachment.bin
> > >
> > > ___
> > > Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> > > Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> > > See also:
> > > http://wiki.scribus.net
> > > http://forums.scribus.net
> >

> > --
> > Gruß, Stefan
> >
> > ___
> > See also:
> > http://wiki.scribus.net
> > http://forums.scribus.net

> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

A good guide to Rich Black options (and many other things) is the
Galaxy Gauge Color Map Pro 8-in-1 Design Tool.  It is not that
expensive and I find it a superior aid to publishing. The Color Map
Pro shows 36 different swatches of Rich Black. To my eye the blackest
swatch is c60% m40% y40% k100%. This meets the LSI limit of no more
than 240% ink coverage.

I use the Scribus Open Office palette. I add the above combination to
the palette and label it it Rich Black.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: