[scribus] Fwd: Improve typographic rule support

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 13:20:52 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 06:10 AM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 27/10/2011 11:30, Czarek a écrit :
>>> LOL. This has been known for ages.
>>
>> And now you all see how clerkless I am ... ;-)
>
> I think that you are a wonderfull user,
> and i totally agree with : at this point, usability matters most.
>
>  > who cares about it, if it is acceptable enough and users want to put
> best
>  > quality out for usability...
>
> Usability, userfriendliness, ergonomie, quality User Interface,
> affordance, ...

I think it's more important to have some understanding of what makes for
a good outcome of whatever algorithm you are using. If you don't you
simply have some smug attitude that you are using "the best" and by some
people's definition, everything else is inferior.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert in this. What I look for is
an overall pleasing look to a block of text (i.e., no rivers or other
unintended visual distractions), that there is a limited use of
hyphenation (and especially not several lines with hyphenation one after
the other), and that when hyphenation is used, it is not such that there
is no intuitive sense of what the rest of the word on the next line
might be -- this leads to a small cognitive hitch as you read through
some text. One also looks for awkward hyphenation.

In John's Scribus PDF (full width):
... re-
ceived ...
this is very ambiguous. In general, various short syllable breaks, like
in-, de-, re- have so many possible endings. This can be the most
difficult to prevent.

InDesign:
... pri-
vate ...
one might consider preventing hyphenation of 2-syllable words to avoid this.

Finally, this one in TeX:
... announc-
ing ...
I have to say, I think this one is quite a mistake. Who would hyphenate
announcing at this point in the word? Note that Scribus has a better
announ-cing.

So to intentionally belabor this a bit, all of these DTP programs have
issues. None is perfect. Each one requires scanning for unpleasant
surprises or bad choices.

Greg