[scribus] Hyphenation

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Mon Oct 31 11:54:09 UTC 2011

Cezary Grabski <czarek at ...> writes:

> > i think that andreas has already answered that question: he has prepared
> > the use of the tex algorithm in scribus but the text engine is not yet
> > ready for it...
>
> Andreas wrote about hyphenation algo.
> I mean (and John talks about that at the end of his post, as I understand)
> whole paragraph based formatting like Tex do.
> It is very interesting approach and many people will be happy with it in
> Scribus. If Andreas is near implemenating it into Scribus we should prey for
> commiting it soon.

I mentioned that prototype in another thread.

I agree that it is easier to implement TeX's paragraph layouter in Scribus
than interfacing with a TeX process to get the results. Also TeX has it's
own limitations, especially when it comes to non-rectangular textframes.
For Scribus we need that, and also textframes with wholes, Bidi, and embedded
inline frames. And if we want to tackle avoidance of rivers we will need our
own code base, too.

/Andreas