[scribus] [SOLVED] Reducing PDF file size without loss of 'HotLinks'

Andreas Hünnebeck acmh at gmx.de
Mon Sep 19 20:35:26 UTC 2011

Ian "Witty" Whitfield wrote:

> I VERY happy to report that this problem has been solved!!
>
> Many thanks to Anders in Sweden for the information!!
>
> 1) Save your PDF from Scribus at the settings that you are happy with.
> 2) Run the following script in Konsole...
>        "ps2pdf14 filename.pdf newfilename.pdf".
>       (NOTE - There must be NO SPACES in the file names!!)
> 3) As a PDF file is a 'special' kind of PS file it can be input to
> 'ps2pdf' with no problems.
> 4) You get a major reduction in file size, (in my case 15Mb to 3Mb!!)
> AND all the 'HotLinks' still work!!

I tried this using the web version of my biyearly magazine and it did
reduce the size by 58%, but due to a very strong compression rate
of the embedded images. They are much worse now, you can see strong
compression artefacts. I think one could reach the same result in
scribus by choosing 'Low' or 'Minimum' Compression Quality (my original
PDF was created with 'Medium').

best regards
Andreas
Andreas Hünnebeck | email: acmh at gmx.de
----- privat ---- | www  : http://www.huennebeck-online.de
Fax/Anrufbeantworter: +49 (32 12) 1 26 24 06
PGP-Key: http://www.huennebeck-online.de/public_keys/pgp_andreas.asc
GPG-Key: http://www.huennebeck-online.de/public_keys/andreas.asc