[scribus] Scribus and Hebrew (Was: Scribus does the Wrong Thing)

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Dec 19 06:54:41 UTC 2012

hi joe

> On 12/18/2012 02:19 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > Unfortunately, its just code that has not been written yet. Scribus
> > just doesn't support what you want to do. There's requests already
> > in at bugs.scribus.net.
>
> Clearly Scribus already has the code needed to do the reversing.
> What's needed now is some sort of flag to tell it that you don't want
> that done, plus a test to check for it.  Superficially, at least, it
> looks simple.  Of course, the devil is in the details as well I know
> from years ago when I was coding and there's also the question of
> priority. I can well understand that there are more important things
> needing work.

in addition to what craig stated "above" here some further thoughts on
the support of non-latin languages in scribus.

first the good news: there has been lot of work already done to get
support for non latin languages into scribus.
but this work is orphaned.
there is "lot" of half finished code that has to be completed and
committed to the development version of scribus.

as you may have read on this list a few month ago, anil has been
working hard in getting the support for indic languages into scribus.
the code he has produced does work and is used in production in
newspaper written in the malayalam and telugu languages.
(http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2012-August/047258.html)

we are now sorting out, how his work can be consolidated into the
official version.

the same happened with japanese: a user with strong interest in getting
support for his language proposed a set of patches to get better
support for his language. they have been accepted (after some
requests for cleanups... :-)

since the people who are most active in the scribus community are only
proficient in latin (and cyrillic) languages, it's not that easy to get
the improvements needed for the support of languages they don't know
much of.

what we need is somebody with good programming skills and a strong
interest in getting hebrew supported by scribus!
the effort needed is not small! you have to count a couple of
months full time work (obviously, it depends on the skills of
programmer! and he/she does not have to work full time: he/she can
spread his effort on a longer period).

in the case of the support of the two indic languages mentioned
above, the code has been done with the financial support of a local
grassroots association.
i wonder if you or any other reader of this list is in touch with a
similar organization interested in taking in their hands the
support of hebrew in scribus...

have a nice day
a.l.e