[scribus] arabic

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 12:37:03 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 04:31 AM, Jean-Louis Cordonnier wrote:
> I want to write this in a text frame :
> *Mahdia* (arabe : ???????) est une ville côtière...
> How can I get the arabic word from right to left ?

This remains clumsy. The worst case situation is when you want to have a
bit of Arabic inside a frame with a left to right language. The bottom
line is that it's probably not doable, at least in a straightforward way
(see below).

Here is what I find using 1.4.1svn:

There is a button in Properties > Text > Color and Effects for right to
left text -- the one with the backwards 'R' in it. Even if you are in
Edit Contents mode, even with text highlighted, when you select this
feature, all of the text in the frame switches to right to left.

I'll have to see if one might create a Paragraph style that might allow
something more restricted.

One possible workaround worth trying, if you have only a single word in
Arabic, would be to use inline graphics. This would require making a
small frame with your Arabic and its right to left mode, then converting
to outlines, then converting to image. Then copy this frame, at which
time you can use this in another text frame in Edit Contents mode by
pasting as you enter text.

Greg