[scribus] Gravity of images in image frames

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 03:27:25 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 08:00 PM, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when creating image frames, either in free scaling or scaling to frame
> size, the image seems to be always anchored to the top left corner.
>

> Is there a menu or setting to have an image anchored to the other
> corners or to have it vertically or horizontally centered in its frame?

For one thing, you have to think through what you are asking. If we
might think of images having some absolute dimensions of themselves, the
DPI would be unsuitable for most purposes, so you must decide what DPI
you wish to have for your image, then consider how to center.

Let's imagine you wish to import an image to a frame of a certain size,
at a certain scaling, then center it.

Make your frame, import the image, then adjust scaling as desired (you
will need to use Free Scaling of course), but leave the image with its
X-Pos, Y-Pos (as shown in the Image tab of Properties) at 0, 0. Now open
the Multiple Duplicate dialog, use the By Number of Copies tab, select 1
copy, select Shift Created Items By, and leave the Horizontal and
Vertical Shifts at 0 each, then click OK. Your copy will be right over
your original. Select this, and from Context menu select Adjust Frame to
Image -- this size of this frame will be the size of the image at the
scaling you have chosen. Now push this down a level below the original.

In X,Y,Z you can get the Width and Height of this adjusted frame. let's
imagine these values are 897.76 and 602.64 pts. Let's imagine that the
width and height of the original are 398.54 and 314.42. Now, select your
original, small frame and go to Image tab of Properties, and in the
X-Pos spinbox enter -843.21/2 + 398.54/2, and in the Y-Pos -602.64/2 +
314.42/2. This will center the middle of the image horizontally and
vertically with the original frame.

This description may sound complicated but conceptually it's rather
simple (I think) -- you are shifting the midpoint of the image to the
upper left of the original frame, then adding half the width and height
of the frame.

Again, I would repeat that this kind of operation seems unlikely to be
in much use once you consider the scaling variability.

> Is there a way to get image frames snap to guides with their horizontal
> or vertical center lines?

Use Windows > Align and Distribute, where you have ability to align in
various ways to the page, margins, other objects, and guides.

Greg