[scribus] Switch tex engine

henry atting nsmp_02 at online.de
Mon Jan 30 17:27:57 UTC 2012

john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:29:14 +0100
> henry atting <nsmp_02 at online.de> wrote:
>
>> henry atting <nsmp_02 at online.de> writes:

>> > Great! This makes `inkscape -> scribus' an almost unbeatable
>> > workflow to produce cmyk pdfs for prepress.
>>
>> Okay, cheered to soon...
>>

>> So I changed the header to:
>>
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage[german]{babel}
>> \setmainfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
>>
>> The render frame contains this test text:
>>
>> `Zum Üben'
>>
>> The german umlaut causes luatex stop compiling:
>>
>> *** you should *not* be loading the inputenc package
>> *** XeTeX expects the source to be in UTF8 encoding
>> *** some features of other encodings may conflict, resulting in poor
>> output.
>>
>> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:Üb not set up for use
>> with LaTeX.
>>
>> See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.14 	zum Üb
>>              en
>> ?
>>

>> Yes, I did not load the `inputenc' package as I know it is not
>> necessary for lualatex. And where does `XeTeX' come in?
>>
>> Text without german umlauts are rendered flawlessly.
>>
>> henry
>>
> Try doing the umlauts the original TeX way:
>
> Zum \:U ben

Yes, I did it already. If it is the way I have to do in scribus I can
live with it.

> This combines the umlaut accent mark and the U glyph making a
> new glyph. The space after the U is required.
>
> Alternatively call the glyph for the umlaut by its position in
> the font:
> \char200 (where 200 is the position of the capital U with
> umlaut.) This requires that you look up the glyph position
> in the current font chart. (I just used 200 as an example.)
>
> TeX isn't simple. You have to study it a bit to use it
> successfully. There is the base package and a series of formats
> to be used with with the base package. There are several
> variations on the base package as well. You call TeX with the name of a
> format (see below) and it automatically uses the correct base
> package.
>
> The following are all formats of TeX (there
> are others)
>
> tex (AKA plain TeX)
> latex
> pdftex
> pdflatex
> luatex
> xetex
> lualatex
> context MKII
> context MKIV
> (etc.)
>
> The latex formats have an additional layer of code, the document class.
> Each has its own set of rules.
>
> The suggestions I made above are original TeX primitives and should work with
> any TeX format (crossing fingers.)

I know, I know. I am working with TeX/LaTeX for years now. I only was
wondering if I may have overlooked some kind of utf8 setting in
scribus. But as I said if it's the old TeX way to do it - no problem.
I have a lot of (otf) fonts in ~/.fonts that's why I preferably use luatex.

Thanks,
henry

--
http://literaturlatenight.de