[scribus] Creating multi- page magazine

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Oct 3 13:28:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 07:06:56 -0400 wena-parry at talktalk.net wrote:

> Erich.
>
> I haven't heard of "gedit" or "kate", I am assuming that
> they are some sort of word processors.  So can they import from
> MS word and do they format e.g. Italics, bold, underline, that
> comes through into Scribus 1.4.1?

No.

An editor creates plain text with no layout, hyphenation, or the
things you describe above. My favorite editor is gvim, part of
the vim package. It is free and runs on all three platforms. I
cheat a bit by assigning ragged right justification to the F2
key. But that is just a matter of convenience when keying.  I
skip a line between paragraphs.

I only use word processors to convert customer originated
doc files to plain text.

In gvim I use the built-in spell checker. Otherwise I use the
stand alone spell checker that works on plain ascii text files
called ispell. When keying or flowing text into Scribus I do all
the layout functions in Scribus. I understand that Scribus can
carry over some layout functions from doc files but since I never
use word processors any more I don't use doc files for flowing
text into Scribus.

It should be obvious that I use Linux. Linux has many useful tools
for dealing with plain text files, such as a sophisticated sort,
a multi-file search program called grep and so forth. I also use some
variation of TeX for lengthy book interiors. Right now I am
rewriting and expanding the e-book listed below in the  Context
variation of Tex. It is just easier to handle running heads, TOC,
page numbering, footnotes etc. in Context compared to Scribus.
OTOH Scribus has simpler ways to select fonts.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press