[scribus] Creating multi- page magazine

Ian "Witty" Whitfield editor at federalsaints.net
Mon Oct 8 13:02:43 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 02:48 PM, wena-parry at talktalk.net wrote:
>> Ciao
>> It would be like haven to have the ability to import into Scribus
>> text with such which retain its formatting, such things as Italics,
>> Bold, Underlining and if possible Subscript and Superscript and
>> Indenting. Preferably from OpenOffice.
>>
>> I have a big 200 + book coming from Canada with all this formats in
>> it. I can foresee me making a some mistakes and having to send my
>> work to the client in PDF and then editing in Scribus, able days to
>> do so.
>>
>> The to be able to import to do final edit in OpenOffice.
>>
> The way to do this is to refrain from doing any text editing in
> Scribus. Make your various styles, etc., in LibreOffice (or
> OpenOffice), and they should be successfully imported with the text.
> When you proofread and find errors, go back to the ODT file and edit
> in LO/OO, then import again. Of course with 200 pages, you will want
> to break this up anyway, but certainly re-importing a huge ODT file
> would be a task which might rightfully provoke anxiety for the layout.
>
> Having said this, you may still need to tweak styles. I don't think
> that LO/OO can match the precision of font size, for example (at least
> it won't show any value smaller than tenths of a point). For the
> layout of a book, there probably will be some places where a line or
> some words might need some very subtle adjustments to fit or for
> aesthetic reasons.
>
> Greg

A *BIG +1* from me on this subject!!!!

But a couple of points ....

  * But why can't the 'Edit Text' option, (after right-clicking a text
    frame), be made to work like the 'Edit Image' option for a Image
    Frame? (With the same way of setting the program you want to use for
    this).

  * The above would also get round the missing Spell Checker in Scribus
    at the moment which is a major problem IMHO!!!

  * Last of all, (and I have brought this up before and don't accept the
    reasons for not doing it). Why can't we have an _OPTION_, (note I
    say _OPTION_ so you don't HAVE to use it!!), to anchor a graphic to
    its text!!!??? To me this is another major missing feature. Every
    time you edit or add some text you have to go through the WHOLE file
    after that point and re-align the pics. Do that a few times with a
    200 page document and it drives you mad!!

Just my 2c worth. Thanks Guys!!

IanW
Pretoria.