[scribus] Master Pages for New Users and the Wiki

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Wed Oct 10 18:12:01 UTC 2012

"Master Pages Issues" on a Windows install, as I have now discovered and
learned with help here:

Importing Master Pages to Another Document (This presumes one has
already created Master Pages in some other document)

1. Create new document.

2. Edit > Master Pages > "Edit Master Pages" dialog appears containing
four buttons, one of which is the active "Import Master Pages From
Another Document button"

3. Select document from dialog which opens when the "Import Master Pages
 From Another Document" button is clicked.

4. After selecting document from above dialog, then select the Master
Page desired from that other document.

5. Click the Import Button on the Import Master Pages From Another
Document dialog.

6. The new document changes, reflecting the importing of the Master
Page, and the "Edit Master Pages" dialog now lists the imported Master
Page and remains above the new document which currently reflects the
changes imported from the Master Page From Another Document.

However -- and I think this is the key issue in the logic/usability of
this feature -- the "Edit Master Pages" dialog now contains the Imported
Master Page, the new document reflects the changes. The only option now
is to click the Windows dialog's 'X' icon button. When doing so, the new
document reverts to its original state, losing the Imported Master
Page's properties.

This is not how Windows users are accustomed to using dialogs which
change some properties: After importing properties or changing some
properties, there should be, according to Windows conventions, and "OK"
button which when clicked applies the imported or changed properties.
However, in this case/design another step is required, which is not
intuititive.

7. Page > Apply Master Page > "Apply Master Page" dialog appears listing
in the drop-down edit box the current (Normal) Master Page. In order to
apply the desired Master Page -- which has been imported but no longer
shows as applied in the document because it has reverted to Normal when
the  "Edit Master Pages" dialog's 'X' button (the only option at that
point) is clicked -- the drop-down edit box then needs to be opened and
the desired Imported Master Page applied.

I can see, potentially, some rationale for this scheme, since the "Apply
Master Page" dialog allows for applying the Imported Master Page to
"Current Page" and options to apply it to other pages.

However, once a Master Page has been imported after step 5 as referred
to above, it would make sense to me that a previously greyed-out button
for "Apply Master Page" on the "Edit Master Pages" dialog (but a button
which is currently non-existing) would, after completing step 5 above,
now appear potentially active, and then the "Apply Master Page" dialog
could open by clicking its now active button(and also closing the "Edit
Master Pages" dialog beneath it), and then the relevant pages could be
selected as provided on the "Apply Master Page" dialog.

Of course, now that I understand how this works, I can "use" it, but as
for normal "usability" it does not seem to me to be conventional to have
an imported property appear and then disappear when a dialog is closed,
requiring the user to "know" that a separate Main Menu item must now be
accessed in order to actually apply the Master Page, which did appear to
be applied, but then disappeared when the "Edit Master Pages" dialog was
closed by (having no other option) clicking the 'X' icon button.

*

What the Wiki is Missing

I suggest that the following page is missing -- at least for a Windows
user -- some key information:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Working_with_Master_Pages

The Wiki states that "You can also copy a Master Page from another
document by clicking on Import master pages from another document
button, which opens the Import Master Page window (Picture 5)."

However, unless one is familiar with the "Edit Master Pages" dialog and
knows that it is that dialog which will have a button to open the
"Import Master Page," the logic is not self-evident.

In addition, after providing those missing instructions, there should be
immediate notification that the user then needs to go to the Main Menu
and select Page > Apply Master Page in order to apply the Master Page
desired.

It is not intuitive that one should understand that by skipping over the
"Plan B:" section, and then the "Double sided, 3-fold and 4-fold Pages"
section one then arrives at the requisite "Applying Master Pages" section.

At the least this "Applying Master Pages" section should make explicit
mention that if you have just Imported a Master Page, then this is how
you actually can use it/apply it to your current document.

I don't have any Wiki editing experience, nor is my system set up to
give comparably schemed dialog snips to insert with in the Wiki. My
apologies for that, this appears to be the limit of my contribution on
this issue.

Barry