[scribus] Shifting page objects by script

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Oct 12 15:59:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Ian "Witty" Whitfield <
editor at federalsaints.net> wrote:

> On 10/12/2012 08:12 AM, Greg wrote:
>
>> Here is a wiki page with a script for shifting all page objects, which
>> you might need to do when you insert a page in the middle of a Double Sided
>> layout.
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/**canvas/Shifting_All_Page_**Objects<http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Shifting_All_Page_Objects>
>>
>> There are of course various mods one can make to accomplish other goals.
>> As written, the script only shifts the objects right or left, not up or
>> down.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>>  Hi Greg
>
> This sounds very promising indeed and I think could cure the problem I
> brought up!!
>
> I've never used scripts so would need a basic 'How to' if you don't mind.
> My only comment would be to know if it's possible to make the script work
> from the page you start it on right to the end of the document?
>
> I also think that incorporating this into Scribus itself would be a very
> worth while exercise indeed..
> Maybe as "Apply Master Page with adjustment"
>
> Very many thanks
>
> IanW
> Pretoria
> South Africa.
>

> Ian,

I may be misunderstanding the problem you have, but my method is create a
left master page and a right master page for my magazine.  One could name
them even master page and odd master page to be a bit more clear, I
suppose.  I do not have any differing vertical elements on my pages that I
want the master pages to define.  Having only the footer defined on my
master pages makes the process simple.

When I do the magazine layout, I simply apply either master page to the
series of pages in my 64 page magazine.  When adding a new page in the
middle of the series, I simply apply either master page so the footer will
show on the new page.  It does not matter which master page I apply, in my
case, since I only employ a horizontal footer on the master pages.

After I have all the page layout done, I use the apply master page menu
option and apply the right master page (could be the odd master page) to
all odd pages.  Then I  apply the left master page (or even master page if
you prefer) to the left pages.  This is one of the last things I do before
sending the file off to the printer.
I use a footer on the right or odd pages that is numbered and is differs
from the footer I use on the left or even pages.  Since the footer is part
of my master page layout, it gets applied to each page properly by Scribus
and the pages are numbered for me automatically.  Then the only things I
have to do manually is re-number the table of contents and re-number the
advertisers index based on the now perfect page numbers.  I also continue
articles to another frame for layout purposes, so I have to edit my
"Continued on page ?" lines placed at the jump points if the issue has them.

Sometimes, I do use the normal master page but not in a printer ready
file.  It contains a dummy footer to be used as a place holder so my page
layout will not cover the footer area as I compose each page.

If it will help, I'll be happy to supply the file I start with in
developing a new issue.  However, I have an issue due at the printer in 12
days, so that might take a back seat, as I generally used the last issue
and delete the dated stuff before entering the new content.  But the start
up file was my first attempt at a beginning point.  I soon learned it was
more trouble than it was worth and began using the process I just
described.  But the start up file does demonstrate the master page scheme.

John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
Walkertown, NC  USA
editor at sera.org