[scribus] Shifting page objects by script

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Sun Oct 14 14:29:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Jean-Luc Waber <jeanlucwaber at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> want the master pages to define.  Having only the footer defined on my
>> master pages makes the process simple.
>>
>> When I do the magazine layout, I simply apply either master page to the
>> series of pages in my 64 page magazine.  When adding a new page in the
>> middle of the series, I simply apply either master page so the footer will
>> show on the new page.  It does not matter which master page I apply, in my
>> case, since I only employ a horizontal footer on the master pages.
>>
>> After I have all the page layout done, I use the apply master page menu
>> option and apply the right master page (could be the odd master page) to
>> all odd pages.  Then I  apply the left master page (or even master page if
>> you prefer) to the left pages.  This is one of the last things I do before
>> sending the file off to the printer.
>> I use a footer on the right or odd pages that is numbered and is differs
>> from the footer I use on the left or even pages.  Since the footer is part
>> of my master page layout, it gets applied to each page properly by Scribus
>> and the pages are numbered for me automatically.  Then the only things I
>> have to do manually is re-number the table of contents and re-number the
>> advertisers index based on the now perfect page numbers.  I also continue
>> articles to another frame for layout purposes, so I have to edit my
>> "Continued on page ?" lines placed at the jump points if the issue has
>> them.
>>
>> Sometimes, I do use the normal master page but not in a printer ready
>> file.  It contains a dummy footer to be used as a place holder so my page
>> layout will not cover the footer area as I compose each page.
>>
>> If it will help, I'll be happy to supply the file I start with in
>> developing a new issue.  However, I have an issue due at the printer in 12
>> days, so that might take a back seat, as I generally used the last issue
>> and delete the dated stuff before entering the new content.  But the start
>> up file was my first attempt at a beginning point.  I soon learned it was
>> more trouble than it was worth and began using the process I just
>> described.  But the start up file does demonstrate the master page scheme.
>>
>> John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
>> Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
>> Walkertown, NC  USA
>> editor at sera.org
>>

> If I understand you correctly, your left and right pages have the same
> left and right margins. But if you prepare a book you will need a bigger
> margin in the center to allow for binding and this shifts all the frames to
> the left on left pages and to the right on right pages. By inserting a
> page, even by applying left and right master pages, all frames on the
> following pages stay where they were before.
>
> Now Greg's script is very cool and solves the problem now, but for future
> versions of scribus i would like what a.l.e proposed, that is being able to
> add this margins after finishing the document, before producing the PDF.

Interesting difference, Jean.  I can understand the need, due to binding,
of the varying margins page to page.  Since I have never experimented with
differing margins, are you telling me that applying master pages cannot
change the margin set on a page?  That would seem like a big shortcoming of
master pages and except for pages where the entire page was consumed by a
graphic, for instance, should compensate by making margin changes
appropriately for left and right pages.  If Scribus works that way, I am
surprised.

Thanks for the tip.

editor at sera.org