[scribus] CMYK conversion

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Fri Sep 21 14:46:12 UTC 2012

Þann fös 21.sep 2012 12:48, skrifaði john Culleton:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:09:11 -0400 (EDT)
> brinydeep at lavabit.com wrote:
>
>> When using Scribus to create a PDF for commercial printing, do you
>> need to import images/photos as CMYK (already converted from RGB
>> elsewhere)? Or, will Scribus automatically convert RGB images to CMYK
>> when creating the PDF for the printer?
>
> If you use a correct ICC profile and set up Scribus for print
> rather than web then you should be OK, IME.

It's been ages since I've had to send in a project in CMYK,
PDFs in RGB with respective embedded profiles is the norm
around here.
Occasionally my projects use spot colours, rarely more than
one at a time; then I normally rely on the competences of
the printshop people ;-)
Also been ages since I've had to send in a separate
spot-colour sheet.

Just got back some print-on-demand photobooks; instead of
using the dumbed-down windoze-only-crappy-cloudy-software I
used Scribus to layout a very difficult mix of photos from
various sources/ages (BW and color scans, negative and
positive filmscans, orange tinted, blueish, yellowish
etc...) with various types of RGB-profiles.
I'm even a bit surprised how exactly/correctly Scribus
managed to display this mess on-screen comparing it to the
final product (via 'Simulate printer'). But then; the
printshop people were nice and pointed me to the correct
output profile.

The only complaint I have for Scribus in this workflow is my
inability to control the degree/strictness of out-of-gamut
highlighting in the 'Simulate printer' feature. The feature
would IMHO be of much more service to track real colour
problems if the out-of-gamut noise could be lowered a bit.

Regards,
Sveinn í Felli