[scribus] LGM 2013 Lightning Talk Slides

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Apr 25 02:26:53 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 12:44 PM, Manuel Schmalstieg wrote:
> Actually, I wasn't thinking about the ePubs yet. For me the point is mostly
> to know what a style is doing. By looking "under the hood", I can see
> exactly what that style does. When you are used to that by designing with
> CSS, it's irritating when a GUI hides that information from you :)
>
> Regarding CSS and typography, I believe that the essential settings exist
> already:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/letter-spacing
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/word-spacing
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/text-indent
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/font-feature-settings
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/::first-line
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/::first-letter
>
> What's missing ? :)

Perhaps not missing, but one has to manage the complexity of
microtypography, which in practice needs to be more of a GUI operation
than an under the hood operation. In the end, you need to play visually
with what you see. Admittedly, Scribus as it is can and should be better
at this than it current is.

Greg