[scribus] Latest in Xubuntu 13.10 is 1.4.2

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 07:44:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 08:23:57 +0100
"Staffan Melin (Oscillator)" <staffan.melin at oscillator.se> dijo:

>Hi John!
>
>1. Can you copy-paste the errors before the cmake error that you gave
>us? It's probably something that cmake/Scribus needs that you have not
>installed. I have successfully compiled Scribus 1.4.3 (which is a
>great version) on both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Debian 7 Wheezy.
>
>2. I have also successfully installed Scribus 1.4.3 on Ubuntu 12.04
>LTS by following the advice here:
>http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian. I have no experience of newer
>Ubuntu versions (but I really like 12.04 LTS which also is long time
>and has great color management support via Gnome Color Manager). Are
>you using Synaptic for install?

For the umpteenth time I tried the instructions on the wiki page, and
this time everything went without error all the way to the end. Yay!

However, it did not install launch item in the Xfce applications menu,
and typing 'scribus' from the command line gives:

The program 'scribus' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing: sudo apt-get install scribus

Of course, apt-get install scribus would install 1.4.2 from the 13.10
repositories. I assume there is an executable somewhere for the Scribus
that I just compiled. Does anyone know where it is?