[scribus] Latest in Xubuntu 13.10 is 1.4.2

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Dec 16 15:19:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 08:48:22 +0100
"Staffan Melin (Oscillator)"
<staffan.melin at oscillator.se> wrote:

> Great!
>
> The compiled app is in
>
> /usr/local/scribus_svn/bin
>
> /Staffan
>

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM, John Jason
> Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 08:23:57 +0100
> > "Staffan Melin (Oscillator)"
> > <staffan.melin at oscillator.se> dijo:
> >
> >>Hi John!
> >>
> >>1. Can you copy-paste the errors before the
> >>cmake error that you gave us? It's probably
> >>something that cmake/Scribus needs that you
> >>have not installed. I have successfully
> >>compiled Scribus 1.4.3 (which is a great
> >>version) on both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Debian
> >>7 Wheezy.
> >>
> >>2. I have also successfully installed Scribus
> >>1.4.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS by following the
> >>advice here:
> >>http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian. I have
> >>no experience of newer Ubuntu versions (but I
> >>really like 12.04 LTS which also is long time
> >>and has great color management support via
> >>Gnome Color Manager). Are you using Synaptic
> >>for install?
> >
> > For the umpteenth time I tried the
> > instructions on the wiki page, and this time
> > everything went without error all the way to
> > the end. Yay!
> >
> > However, it did not install launch item in
> > the Xfce applications menu, and typing
> > 'scribus' from the command line gives:
> >
> > The program 'scribus' is currently not
> > installed. You can install it by typing: sudo
> > apt-get install scribus
> >
> > Of course, apt-get install scribus would
> > install 1.4.2 from the 13.10 repositories. I
> > assume there is an executable somewhere for
> > the Scribus that I just compiled. Does anyone
> > know where it is?

The last lines of my version of the compile
script links the compiled scribus
to /usr/local/bin
---------------------------
make install
cd scribus
ls -l scribus
rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
-------------------------------------
I name it scrib4 to distinguish from the 1.5.0
version which I also compile nightly. My script
in /etc/cron.daily looks like this:
----------------------------
cp /usr/local/bin/scrib4 /usr/local/bin/scrib4.bak
cp /usr/local/bin/scrib5 /usr/local/bin/scrib5.bak
/usr/local/scrib140
/usr/local/scrib150
--------------------------------
and my script for the weekly backup
in /etc/cron.weekly looks like this
-----------------------------------
cd /usr/local/bin
cp scrib4 scrib4.wk
cp scrib5 scrib5.wk
-------------------------------------
This scripting ensures that I have two backups to
each version, in case a bug creeps in.

Slackware has handy files like:
/etc/cron/hourly
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.weekly
/etc/cron.monthly

These it turn are activated by the crontab
mechanism
------------------------------
# Run hourly cron jobs at 47 minutes after the
hour:
47 * * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
1> /dev/null
#
# Run daily cron jobs at 4:40 every day:
40 4 * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null
#
# Run weekly cron jobs at 4:30 on the first day of the week:
30 4 * * 0 /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.weekly 1> /dev/null
#
# Run monthly cron jobs at 4:20 on the first day
of the month:
20 4 1 * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.monthly 1>/dev/null

SUSE has essentially the same crontab arrangement.
Other Linux distros may have different mechanisms
to accomplish the same results. I don't know if
Windows has a comparable mechanism.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press