[scribus] The first Malayalam publication prepared with Scribus

DAKF dakf.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 17:02:51 UTC 2013

On 25 July 2013 22:08, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> So i understand (ale helped me) that you mean harbuzz is patched.

Yes, it is  using a patched earlier version of harfbuzz. However, patching
is for correcting certain rendering issue for Malayalam and Odiya. Now, I
hope such issues might have corrected in official release of Harfbuzz

> For such  issues as GIT authentication, you should ask malex
> on irc or on scribus dev list.
>
> I have informed earlier, however I could not follow up. further.

>  More publications in Malayalam expressed their idea of migrating to
>> Scribus.
>> I have further plan to add an editorial work-flow plug-in based on
>> PostgreSQL, as a separate project.
>>

> You mean : creating layouts with scribus out of texts coming from a
> postgreSQL database ?
> That would be really great ! And not only for Malayalam publications !

It is already done and tested for Telugu daily Prajasakti. They are
planning to roll-out this new editorial work-flow (EWF). Even though,
there a some inertia from editorial team to migrate out from proprietary
editorial package.

The developed plug is very specific to EWF database structure of that
daily. We have to convert it to a generic structure for others to use.

> For broader use, it would be good to have an abstraction SQL layer,
> so as to deal with mySQL database too...

Yes

> I sometime imagine a program that would read googledocs or (FOSS) etherpad
> docs
> or some other CMS texts and create a SLA out of them.
> For googledocs it would require access through http,
> but for one's own etherpad or CMS, access would be possible through its
> database.

Nice idea

>  The version in Indic branch of scribus git is used. There are few more
>> changes done in my local copy.
>>
>>> Can we test and use this version with latin alphabets ?
>>>
>> Sure. There are English content in the publication. Please go through it.
>>

> Ok !
> I have compiled the indic branch of the git repo and when running the file,
> i run across an error. After the terminal displaying :
>         ScripterImpl object created
>         PreferencesAPI loaded
>         DialogsAPI loaded
>         Pythonize constructor -- pid = 25330
>
> it displayed the error message :
>
> scribusindic: symbol lookup error: /home/jluc/bin/scribusindic/**
> lib/scribus/plugins//**libscripter.so: undefined symbol: Py_IsInitialized
>
> Same with scripter2 enabled or not in the compile options.
> I usually compile other git branches, like unitLoader recently.
> You have an idea on how to fix this issue ?

Few weeks back, I have downloaded the source from indic branch ane
compiled. I did not find such issue. Anyway I shall check it once more. Let
me know you the OS and version you have tried to build up.

- Anil