[scribus] Someone likes coding for windows?!

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Sep 9 14:48:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 03:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
Murray Strome <wmstrome at yahoo.com> wrote:

> J:  wrote:
>
> On 07/09/2013 14:59, Brenda Ann Eckels wrote:
>

> > The volunteers working with
> > scribus also learn an older version of Photoshop if that helps.
>
> I found a lot of old versions of Photoshop were quite unstable, at
> least under windows.
>
> If you get them working with Gimp (not a hard transition, and
> available under windows), you'll get better stability, and I think
> better usability. Gimp is also free.
>

> Cheers, J/.
> ---------------
> GIMP is very powerful and Open Source, and available for all
> platforms. There are many good tutorials available for it. However,
> with the power comes complexity which can be daunting. If you want
> something that is much easier to use, and very intuitive (but not as
> powerful), you might consider Picasa which is free, but not open
> source.
>
> Murray
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Gimp has two important limitations. First, it creates and modifies only
bitmap files. For vector file creation use Inkscape. Second it only
works in the RGB color model. That is fine for the web, not so fine
for printing. In addition The postscript handling tools are limited and
haven't been updated in a long time.

Gimp is still my tool of choice for increasing color saturation or
reducing a color image to grayscale. Resizing is also easy in Gimp.
And the logo filters give special effects on text for titles etc.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press