[scribus] OpenType features

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Sep 16 02:21:21 UTC 2013

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:46:17 -0300
Gabriel Grosso <ggrosso.dg at gmail.com> dijo:

>Yes, the font that i'm using is Source Sans Pro, and it has small
>caps, old style numerals and a few other characters that i might or i
>might not need.
>
>So i'm thinking the best -and the only- workaround that comes to my
>mind is:
>1. Open the font file in Fontforge
>2. 'Rescue' this special characters that i want to use and save it in
>a new font file
>3. Use it in Scribus and avoid this ugly black
>blocks<http://i.imgur.com/0fDKTeG.png>showing that they're "Unmapped
>glyphs"
>
>This could help? -Assuming that the font licence allows modifications,
>which is the case-

If the font contains the glyphs but Scribus can't find them, then all
you need to do is correct the encoding. I believe that in Fontforge you
can just drag the glyph to the correct "slot." But first go to a
Unicode web site and find out where they glyphs are supposed to be. Or
another option would be to find a font where the glyphs do work, and
then put the glyphs in your badly encoded font in the same place.

There is no need to create a new font file. Just fix the one you have.
And if it is an open source font, find its web site or a means to
communicate with the author and other users. There may even be a newer
version where the problems have already been fixed.