[scribus] scribus on macosx version x86

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Apr 1 15:03:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 05:11:34 +0000
kenichi fujisaki <kfujisaki at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,Your application seems promising for
> me. Unfortunately, I can't get it
> (1.4.3,1.4.2,1.4.1) work on macosx snow leopard
> (arch x86). I think they work on i386 or ppc
> (i've not tried it).Can you recompile your
> sources in order to fit with x86 arch., please?
> Sincerely yours,Thank you Kenichi Fujisaki

In my experience in general the authors of Open
Source software often develop on Linux because it
is the most programmer-friendly environment, then
port the product to MSWindows because that is
what the vast majority of users have, and port to
some Apple Mac OS last. I use nothing but
Open Source software and I live in the world of
Linux. I have a problem with that because many
projects don't offer executable binary versions
for my favorite flavor of Linux, Slackware. For
Scribus I compile the latest svn versions of 1.4.3
and 1.5.0 overnight. For some other products in
the graphics and multimedia areas I switch to a
Debian variant called Knoppix and download the
product there from their repository.

The developers of Scribus try hard to satisfy all
their audiences, but I note from frequent
messages here and on other mailing lists that
Mac users are last in line and for some reason
the most difficult to satisfy, despite having a
OS that is based on BSD, an Unix variant. the Mac
is user friendly but not particularly developer
friendly or so it seems.

Perhaps some other Mac user can offer you some
helpful advice. I only comment on what I see.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press