[scribus] Getting my script into the distribution.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 7 00:43:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:14:19 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 07/06/2015 02:27 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> > I have asked this question before. I have a
> > script for laying out a perfect bound book
> > cover. I would like to have it included in
> > current distributions such as 1.5.1 and/or
> > 1.5.0. I have posted it to my area on the web
> > site. Now how do I get it into the distros?
> >
> Speaking as someone who has written quite a
> number of scripts, and had just a few which
> were brought in as included scripts (and not my
> decision by the way), the sense I get is that
> there needs to be some sort of collective
> opinion that a particular script has a wide
> enough audience of users.
>
> It would be great if we heard some feedback
> from people using your script, who might make
> some suggestions for potential modifications.
> Otherwise you might be the only one using it,
> and you already have it.
>
> Greg

I wrote and sold a pdf e-book in 2009-2014
titled "Create Book Covers with Scribus" That
sold 168 copies before I terminated it for
obsolescence. Users went to my website to get the
dimensions and guide positions for their cover
project. They then had to transfer the
calculated dimensions and guide positions
to their book cover manually.

My only marketing of the e-book was in the footer
of my emails plus availability on the Booklocker
website.

My current script is an expansion on the
existing script already shipped with some
previous Scribus distros entitled "spine.py". But
it goes well beyond just calculating the spine
width. It lays out the entire cover with all three
panels, bleeds, and vertical guides.

I have already made the script
(really two scripts, one for inches and one for
mm)  available on my web site for download.
If that is the only distribution of the scripts so
be it. After I rewrite my e-book and publish it in
both pdf and perfect bound form I will be able to
give you some feedback.

There is a bit of a vicious circle here. Most
users won't know about it until it is included
with the distribution and being included with the
distribution will not be allowed until I can cite
user feedback. But that may be 5 years from now
and I may not live that long. In August 2015 I
will be 83 years old.

But that is my problem, not yours.

--
John Culleton