[scribus] Empty text frame error when exporting a PDF form

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Oct 6 12:44:48 UTC 2016

On 10/06/2016 08:28 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
> On 06/10/16 14:17, David Goss wrote:
>> When I export a layout that has PDF form fields on it, I get error
>> messages from the preflight verifier about empty text frames. It then
>> lists all of the PDF fields.
>>
>> This basically renders the preflight useless, because a real empty
>> text frame error could be hidden in the list of false positives. Is
>> there anything I can do to my text frames or an error checking setting
>> to avoid these errors?
>>
>> Note: This happens with Scribus 1.5.2--if I recall correctly, this
>> didn't happen when exporting the same PDF using Scribus 1.4.x
>

> while your concern is correct and deserves a bug report (please fill one
> : - ), i would say that if you're creating PDF forms you can almost
> safely ignore all the warnings from the preflight verifier.
>
> they are thought for the professional printing workflow (where you do
> not want to notice a "frame error" when you get thousands of copies back
> from the printer.

As a.l.e says, don't take the warnings too seriously. It's worth
scanning any errors just to make sure you're aware of them.

I recently played a bit with a textfield form so that I could answer a
question on the list, and encountered the same issue with an empty
textfield frame. What was more concerning was that I couldn't seem to
enter anything in the PDF form. What got around this was to put
something in it -- it might be just a space. That way, you don't get the
warning, and you shouldn't have any trouble entering info in the textfield.

Greg