[scribus] Laidout

Tom Lechner tomscoding at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 17:28:41 UTC 2017

Ale's right about text tools!

As a cartoonist, I draw all my own text, so text tools have been a
pretty low priority for me, but I am working on them. I grudgingly
accept that text tools are useful things to have!

Currently, there's a kind of caption in a box text tool, and a very
buggy text on path (including glyph size based on variable width of the
path), though I couldn't honestly say the text tools are quite stable
yet! I'm still trying to figure out the best way to work with the
combination of harfbuzz-freetype-cairo.

I do tend to prefer working on tools and approaches that are perhaps a
bit idiosyncratic, and yes, any coders and testers welcome! Laidout is a
free time project of mine, but I at least try to address bugs and
feature requests people tell me about, having more hands around would
certainly speed development!

In terms of Scribus, I do have an import/exporter for sla files callable
from within Scribus, that can perform imposition (such as into
booklets), and return a new sla, mostly preserving the original text and
styles (linux only at the moment). I need to test against current
Scribus files, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLrfyHMXzU

-Tom