[scribus] OpenType features

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Sat Sep 9 17:49:28 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I had written to a typeface-department of SIL to inform them about the
new features, not least of supporting certain ligatures and style sets
of OpenType fonts from Scribus 1.5.3.

They promised kindly to include references to Scribus in their future
PDF documentations for their fonts like Andika, Charis SIL, Gentium etc.

They have also now included Scribus in their list of supporting programs
for their OpenType features, for style sets:

https://software.sil.org/lcgfonts/support/application-support/

But in return I was asked this: "Do you know if there are also plans to
support Character Variants?" and I do not know the answer.

Those are encoded cv01-cv99 while Style Sets are encoded ss01-ss99 in
OpenType.

I believe Scribus could already support character variants, because the
technology does not look much different from the style sets. We are
maybe just missing a few lines of code - or maybe even just missing the
boxes to tick in our new F4 window aka Text Properties on the Font
Features tab.

Anybody has the info what I could answer to the SIL font people about
Character Variants? They are producing significant numbers of such
variants for their fonts and access would make a difference to their
users I suppose (I use SIL fonts a lot myself).

I googled it too and found an abandoned question on a Scribus forum here:

http://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=2419.0

Is this maybe a taboo subject? Like adult stuff for typesetters?

greetings, good weekend,

Martin

PS: And I thank those people who had recommended Fontmatrix a while ago
on this list. I am finding new amazing things all the time.

Beware, soon I will ask this list how I can access the un-mapped glyphs
in certain fonts (look at the deep end of Comic Sans[sic] and be
amazed). Those would make the coolest profile-"photos" on certain
typography-fora, if I could only access them and set something in
Scribus and then render small bitmaps...

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ