[scribus] Version 1.5.3 not running nicely under OpenSuse Leap 42.3

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Fri Sep 15 15:22:01 UTC 2017

Dear list,

we finally found time to set up a new computer and to pick up work on
our magazine. We went for OpenSuse Leap 42.3 64 bit, the latest. And we
declined the proposed 1.4 flavour from OpenSuse. We rather found a hint
for another repository on the Scribus website and managed to install
1.5.3 just fine.

I was proudly showing the new features to our local team and many things
have not changed and some details got better.

But three bugs have ruined our morning. I will report them as bugs,
depending on what the list will advise:

- Got error message about unavailable font (three different cuts of
DejaVu), so we opted to replace by the freshly installed versions of
DejaVu and clicked for the make-permanent option. This did not work. The
document-setup font list does mention the replacements, but they are not
done, document shows Charis! Also Scribus had proposed SIL Charis for
replacing DejaVu Sans and now the available fonts list looks rather
sick, listing DejaVu as belonging to the Charis SIL family. There is
something quite wrong here.
	Every time we open the document again, we get the same error about
needing to replace those fonts, even when we did already and had ticked
"make permanent".
	I remember reading something on this list about other users having
issues with certain fonts. So maybe the initial message should not read
"replace unavailable fonts ..." but something like "Scribus now hates
DejaVu; do not replace it but say goodbye to any text-frame which is
concerned".

- Had several crashes when trying to pick up our previous work: On every
single "import styles" Scribus crashed entirely. We tried from another
user first: crash. Then copied the document to the same user in the file
explorer and tried importing: same crash. Tried importing from 1.4
documents: crash; tried importing from fresh 1.5 documents: crash. Are
we doing something wrong? Styles have become very important for our team
and setting up some 30 complex styles for a magazine should not be
repeated for each page and for each new edition; we need that import for
our workflow.

- Had trouble again with lines and line-styles in master pages: They are
properly defined and have colour but stay invisible! I can neither see
them when editing the master page nor from the main window/page which is
using that master page. I had this behaviour at least once under
Windows. Anybody notice that too?

Then I tried to get the latest 1.5.4.svn for OpenSuse and could not find
anything, not even an older one. I find App Images only for 1.5.3 and
then nothing newer. I cannot find a repository for OpenSuse either,
which goes beyond 1.5.3.

I am not asking to have new packages built just for our office. But if
they exist (like the did for 1.5.3) somewhere and have maybe just been
moved to a new location, then we would love to try them and to see what
issues are already fixed. Please help.

Sorry that this is a rather unhappy message. Even setting up a new
layout computer is a hassle. But then finding our main tool so buggy
happened on top of all that. Still we will never return to 1.4 because
of the much better support for our local language from 1.5.3 onwards.

All ideas welcome and good week-end to those who will get one,

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ