[scribus] missing deja vu font (Was: Version 1.5.3 not running nicely under OpenSuse Leap 42.3)

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Sep 17 08:04:11 UTC 2017

> - Got error message about unavailable font (three different cuts of
> DejaVu), so we opted to replace by the freshly installed versions of
> DejaVu and clicked for the make-permanent option. This did not work.
> The document-setup font list does mention the replacements, but they
> are not done, document shows Charis! Also Scribus had proposed SIL
> Charis for replacing DejaVu Sans and now the available fonts list
> looks rather sick, listing DejaVu as belonging to the Charis SIL
> family. There is something quite wrong here.
> 	Every time we open the document again, we get the same error
> about needing to replace those fonts, even when we did already and
> had ticked "make permanent".
> 	I remember reading something on this list about other users
> having issues with certain fonts. So maybe the initial message should
> not read "replace unavailable fonts ..." but something like "Scribus
> now hates DejaVu; do not replace it but say goodbye to any text-frame
> which is concerned".

that's a freetype issue

As of January 2017, Debian testing and Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 was
distributing a version of the freetype library (2.6.3) that is affected
by a bug that prevents Scribus from loading outlines of some glyphs
with the DejaVu font (and others).

Freetype 2.6.5 contains a fix for this issue. The fix might already be
in the 2.6.4 version.

Debian testing now has 2.8.0, which does not contain bug affecting the
way DejaVu is seen by Scribus. Scribus will not automatically recognize
again DejaVu, you first have to manually force Scribus to re-create the
font cache by

- quitting Scribus,
- removing (or, better renaming) the
  ~/.config/scribus/checkfonts150.xml file
- starting scribus

so, it's not scribus hating dejàvu...
just wait for freetype being updated (or update freetype)

ciao
a.l.e