[scribus] Scribus for mac (64 bit)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat May 25 17:24:34 UTC 2019

On 5/25/19 1:02 PM, Ronan Watts wrote:
> Think i found the right one (would it be the .dmg version for the mac?) but when i try to install it, (the 1.5.4 version) it says a newer version of scribus already exists (refering to the 1.4.8 version) do i want to replace it with the older version (1.5.4). Do you reckon my mac has just got abit confused between new and old or is the 1.5.4 actually an older one?

The releases can indeed be confusing. At any point in time, there are two tracks of Scribus being developed, the so-called "stable", now the 1.4.x series, and the developmental or "unstable" series, currently 1.5.x. It so happens that 1.4.8 was officially released after 1.5.4, but even so, 1.5.4 contains a lot of additional features you won't have with 1.4.8.

I don't know about macs, but with Linux and Windows you can have both the 1.4.x and 1.5.x versions installed. Although I have both, for the most part I only use 1.5.x. An important thing to keep in mind is that while 1.5.x will be able to load a 1.4.x or earlier file, 1.4.x can't load a 1.5.x file. This would be of importance if you're sharing a file with someone who also has Scribus, or if you have more than one computer and they don't all have both versions of Scribus.

We're getting to the point that saying 1.5.4 is unstable isn't really true, since it probably won't be long before it becomes the official stable release.

GReg