[scribus] Tables in 1.5.6svn

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jan 9 10:07:07 UTC 2020

hi

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 02:30:54 +0100
> "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> dijo:
>
> >The dysfunctional tables feature is, at least IMHO, one of the major
> >roadblocks on the way to the release of 1.6.0. I don't think we can
> >release 1.6.0 until this has been fixed.
>
> Tables a extremely important to me, and I have time to devote to
> testing. If there is code you want test I can sit and create tables
> all day long until I get it to break. :)

in the short term, i don't see who and how could fix the tables tool.

we should urgently consider releasing 1.6 without any changes to the
tables and marking them as an optional (by default hidden) feature.
last year, i've put a patch for this in the bug tracker.

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15987

there are a few such scribus features (lists, footnotes, ...) that i
don't see how they can be fixed soon and can/should be made optional
before 1.6 is released as stable.

why "hiding" them instead of fixing things?
at the current pace, fixing all the issues blocking the release
cannot take less than two years.

we cannot wait for this to happen!

qt4 is being removed from several linux distributions
and there are good chances that other people will start publishing 1.5.6
(or 1.5.7) as unofficial stable versions.

and it's not only linux: scribus 1.4 does not work anymore on the latest
version of macos.
and there are so many questions about which version / dmg of scribus
works on which version of macos.

are we back at scribus 1.3.3.14 and 1.3.5 times?

i fear that if no realistic plan for a release is published during
the next month, linux maintainers will need to remove scribus from the
next versions or find an alternative plan... like declaring 1.5.6
stable. as is.

at regular intervals, mattia has been warning jean and craig during the
whole last year...
(probably even for longer: i did not check)

and he's not alone: everybody knows that it's time to release 1.6.

if it's not perfect, we should find ways to manage the issue in a
pragmatic way.

i recall a promise been made at the lgm 2019: scribus 1.6 will be
released towards the end of 2019...
2020 has come. scribus 1.6 is still so far away.

if you need help, just say so. there are still a few people around who
are willing to help but are "trapped" in the slowness the scribus team
handles so many things.

what are your proposals for saving scribus?

have a wonderful start to the year!
a.l.e