[scribus] PDF Import Plugin Error

Matt Miller matt.miller at fastmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:30:59 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022, at 21:49, Owen wrote:
> On 2022-03-27 13:24, Matt Miller wrote:
>> A few days ago on my Debian bookworm machine I started getting a
>> pop-up warning that the PDF import plugin couldn't load when starting
>> a Scribus executable that was compiled from svn Release_1.5.8. Scribus
>> would continue to run after showing that warning. The warning
>> mentioned that I should try cleaning out plugins from my installation
>> directory. I went ahead and did "make clean" from my build directly,
>> but now Release_1.5.8 won't compile. After building for quite a while
>> I get:
>>
>> make[2]: ***
>> [scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/build.make:88:
>> scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/importpdf.cpp.o]
>> Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4325:
>> scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/all] Error 2
>> make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2
>>
>> So, this error is also related to the PDF import plugin. How can I
>> resolve this?
>>
>> The 1.5.8 included with Debian bookworm never has shown this warning,
>> but I'd like the option of running something that I compiled.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I would completely wipe the build directory and run cmake again and see
> what, if any, libraries are missing. podofo and poppler come to mind.

Well, that was part of the problem. In a brand new build directory cmake said:

-- Poppler Version:22.02.0
-- C++17 is the minimum C++ standard since poppler 22.01.0
CMake Error at CMakeLists_Dependencies.cmake:312 (message):
  Please set -DWANT_CPP17=ON on your CMake command line

Sol I added -DWANT_CPP17=ON, reran cmake, and it completed. Then, after much building, make failed with a slightly different error about PDF imports:

make[2]: *** [scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/build.make:140: scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/slaoutput.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4325: scribus/plugins/import/pdf/CMakeFiles/importpdf.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

I blew away the build directory again and started over, this time adding -DWANT_CPP17=ON to cmake right away, but, although cmake now runs fine, make still fails as above.

--

  Matt Miller
  mailto:matt.miller at fastmail.com