[scribus-dev] possible fix for #7369

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Mon Sep 8 00:31:02 CEST 2008

Am 07.09.2008 um 22:54 schrieb Pierre Marchand:

> Vous (Jean Ghali) avez écrit :
>> Pierre Marchand a écrit :
>>> Now, I don´t know if it covers all needs, etc. Let see (not a
>>> diff >since
>>> there´s nothing left of the actual function): http://pastebin.ca/
>>> 1196074
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> One need to check that the FT_Get_X11_Font_Format function is
>> available on
>> all systems.
>>
>> Jean
>
> Yes. It is portable (at least fontmatrix uses it without complain
> from Windows
> port team! ;-)), X11 here refers to naming convention i think. FT
> is not
> linked against Xlib in any way AFAIK! But where you’re right is
> that the code
> is uncomplete, missing the "#include FT_XFREE86_H ".
> OTOH, my aim here was not exactly to push an immediat change, was
> rather to
> open the discussion.

The format is also available as ScFace::type(), you just would have
to pass it along when calling setBestEncoding().

The question is if there are Type1 fonts around where the synthesized
Unicode encoding is better than what we'd get by other means. In
theory a Type1 font could offer the full Adobe Standard encoding plus
a few additional symbols via the Symbol encoding, and another font
could offer all the symbols via the symbol encoding plus some other
glyphs (eg. numbers and punctuation) with the standard encoding.
That's why we count the available chars in each map in order to take
the one with the most glyphs (reasoning that that is the most
'natural' one).

/Andreas