[Scribus] Scribus 1.1.7 only works as root, crashes with segfault as user

BandiPat magicpage91
Thu Jun 17 02:32:32 CEST 2004

Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:

>>>./configure ; make ; make install, all as root.
>>
>>=============
>>
>>Penelope,
>>I think you might have misread Rolf's mail.  The reason your install of
>>Scribus won't run for the user is because you built it as root!  In
>>compiling a file, you MUST perform the first two commands as USER in
>>your shell, not ROOT!  You can always check your status in the shell
>>with the command "whoami".
>>

> *please* don't fill people's heads with nonsense. You can compile a
> program as any user you want it to, it's just advised to do it as a
> non-root user. I compile scribus as root all the time, simply because I
> always discover I forgot to install a package along the road and I quickly
> apt-get it, and then continue the configure/make again. You need to do
> "make install" as root anyway, so ...
> The reason you can't run it as a non-root user might more be that you have
> a.scribus directory owned by root in your user's account or so... strace
> the program to see where a permission denied occurs and you'll have found
> the culprit.
>
> Franky

Franky,
I don't think it's nonsense to show people the norm way of compiling as
it's instructed by everyone else!  Fact is telling folks, newbie users,
not to do things the correct way is probably the worst possible thing
you could do.  Try to remember, every Linux user is not a seasoned pro,
like you consider yourself, so please don't start filling their heads
with things they don't yet know about in dealing with Linux.  Try to let
them catch up first!

Patrick

--
           ---SuSE Linux v9.1 Pro---