[Scribus] CMYK or Sending to a Printer

Dennis dennis
Sat Nov 6 17:48:55 CET 2004

> Did you try using the qtmonitorprofile tool from the lprof package to
> create a monitor profile?  My PDF exports with CMS were really different
> from my monitor with the plain Adobe profiles until I used the
> qtmonitorprofile tool to adjust my contrast.  It sounds like your
> initial comment was the closest match except for some contrast
> adjustements.

Hi again,

Here is what I did. I used qtmonitorprofile and followed the instructions, now
my monitor is on 100% contrast and 0% brightness (BenQ FP767-12 LCD). Looked
weird at first, but got used to it. All gamma programs show clear gamma in
all grayscales though (CMS ones, kgamma, etc).

When I open a picture with the CMS qtmeasurement tool, yes it looks flat, and
when I proof it with the monitor profile, yes it looks gorgeous.

So, I installed this profile (as well as Adobe's standard profiles) in
Scribus, enabled CMS and set up the monitor profile.

2 things happen:

- If I enable gamut checking, literally every single color turns to gray (as
in out of gamut), except maybe a single shade of cyan. (this is in pictures,
text, and Scribus' own color palette).

- Without gamut checking, but on-screen print checking, pictures are washed
out, but somehow text entered with Scribus is not. (i.e. I can not import any
decent color in any picture, but red text in Scribus is red).

When I export to PDF, set for Printer, the result looks great in acroread -
but according to identify it is an RGB PDF, not CMYK. I am not sure if the
printer people want that. (all RGB PDF's look great in acroread btw so I
could have just as well exported for Screen without any CMS?).

Do I need to adjust the pictures before use? Given a standard high-res picture
from a digital camera, slightly edited in the Gimp, to use in an ad which is
to be supplied in PDF format in CMYK (with no further details specified),
which steps did I miss?

Many thanks for any advice, and thanks for a great program!
Dennis