[Scribus] Scribus for Mac platforms.

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Sat Nov 13 18:19:00 CET 2004

John Culleton wrote:

> Is Scribus available for OS X.?  Is it easy to install or does it require
> compilation skills etc.?
>
> I frequently mention Scribus as a Quark replacement, but AFAIK it only runs
> on Linux.  One of my clients is about to go from Quark to InDesign, and he
> is Mac based.

Scribus does indeed run on Mac OS X. It is relatively easy to install
using Fink.
Fink is a package manager for easily installing programs that run on
the Unix
side of Mac OS X.

Go to http://fink.sourceforge.net/ to get started. The Download->
Quick Start
page tells how to get Fink set up on your system. Also check out the
F.A.Q. and
the Documentation links. FAQ Question 8.5 describes how to get X11 up
and running
depending on whether you have Jaguar or Panther.

Once you have Fink up and running, you can install Scribus and many
other useful
open-source apps.  I have been running Scribus since version 1.0 under
Mac OS 10.2.8.
Fink lets you download binaries or source. It handles all the
dependencies for you so
the package will compile and run. I have been using the "unstable"
tree in Fink for over
a year now and have not had any problems. That tree allows me to get
newer versions
of programs.

Carol
--