[Scribus] word wrap error

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon May 2 03:32:17 CEST 2005

Hi all,

to be honest, I'm very surprised about this discussion, as I am living,
writing and designing (mostly with scribus since 1.2.1) in a continental
European tradition (Germany). We have always been told that using two
empty spaces after a full stop is a big Nono.

This is not meant to offend anyone, to be sure, but two empty spaces
would simply look ugly to me. Probably this has to do with customs, but
I think it's quite telling that LyX doesn't allow double empty spaces.
My overall impression is that US-American typography as of today is more
conservative and more deeply rooted in Anglo-Saxon tradition than any
other national or regional typography in the world. That's not
necessarily bad, and I'm quite conservative myself with respect to
typography. But I think one can get rid of a lot of problems by using
generally accepted rules. I read US-American publications more than once
and I see lots of different usages of empty spaces. And I also see em
dash disappearing as it is in Europe, Canada or Oceania.

The same goes for the typesetting of numbers: 10 000 looks much better
than 10.000 or 10,000. It's a matter of aesthetics, which has the neat
side effect of circumventing Anglo-Saxon/Continental European
differences. Unfortunately, this won't help you, when you're dealing
with corporate bean counters, who insist on displaying their numbers
"correctly" (sigh!).

Finally, I would like to place a request for Gregory Pittman to stop his
mimicry and to sign with his real name. Greg, you did nothing wrong. You
contribute more than I do. I really hope the "Greg" sig will appear on
the list again soon.

Christoph