[Scribus] CYMK problem

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Sep 8 02:35:04 CEST 2005

Hi Cor,

here is another non-technical solution to your problem: change the printer!

I had similar problems in the past, i.e. studios who produce plates for
printers as an additional source of income. I worked for a company which
had chosen a printer that didn't make the plates himself, but let it do
by contractual partners. When the company history I wrote was finished
in all its glory (in Scribus!), the studio received the PDF. Shortly
thereafter, the guy who was supposed to do the RIP complained about that
"broken" PDF file. Either fonts were not printed or colours were wrong
and so on. The same happened with the cover, made by a studio in the UK
(in FreeHand). The reason was the use of Quark. I asked him to use
Acrobat and appropriate software instead, but he claimed he had never
done this before and that it always worked fine with their own files.

I immediately called up the company and the printer to let the plates be
produced by someone else. They did, and with Acrobat + PitStop
everything worked just fine.

As a general rule, don't look at the price for a print job only. You
also /have/ to talk to the printers. With a bit of experience, you will
learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, just by talking.

An example: Currently, I am preparing a travelling exhibition which
contains about 60 presentation boards (ca. 1 m x 1 m). To get the boards
produced, I had to solicit bids for the printing. One of the bids was
significantly cheaper than the other ones. When I called the company,
they told me that the only accept high-resolution TIFFs (1200 dpi) for
presentation boards. My question about pixelised fonts and other vector
data was answered: "That's no problem, our RIP uses interpolation". At
that moment, they lost, because I know how presentation boards made with
bitmap files look like. They didn't accept PDF or EPS, not even PS, and
that's why I chose the next bid, which prefers CMYK-PDFs.

groeten,

Christoph