[Scribus] trouble compiling CVS 1.3.1 on MacosX

Andreas Vox vox
Thu Sep 8 16:01:30 CEST 2005

Roberto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, I'd like to congratulate all of you developers of this
> promising nice app.
> I'm experiencing troubles trying to compile the cvs version of scribus
> on MacOSX 10.4.2.
> I did exactly as explained on the cross-platform section of the
> Documentation, used fink to download all the libraries required, set
> the
> environment as described, but configure keeps telling me it can't fink
> QT, although it is installed under /sw. (i have QT 3.3.4)
> The messege is:
> checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.3) (library qt-mt) not
> found. Please check your installation!
> For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
> Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!
>
> Where am I doing wrong?

One frequent cause of problems is when you forget to set the QTDIR
environment variable.

> Also, how possible is it to port Scribus QT code to MacosX Cocoa using
> Xcode?

I used gcc with the Scribus makefiles to build Scribus/Aqua.
XCode also uses the gcc compiler, so I don't think there's any gain in
switching. I use XCode for editing, though.
Qt/Mac uses the Carbon library of MacOSX (not Cocoa) to show native
graphics. There are only a few other things which have to be adapted
(widget sizes, font formats, speed issues, application bundle,...). The
aim is to integrate all this into the Scribus main CVS version so that
it will be possible for  anyone to compile the native Scribus app for
theimselves.

> Sorry if that sounds stupid - i'm no expert in programming -, but
> i'm just curious to know if it would be a straightforward process or
> totally impossible.

No worries. In fact it's quite straightforward, just not with Cocoa and
XCode :-)

/Andreas