[Scribus] cairo in SuSE

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed Sep 21 01:46:15 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 01:25, Bart Alberti wrote:
> Replying to myself (!) cairo need libglitz which I do not see right
> away.
>
> B A
>
> Bart Alberti wrote:
> > FYI the Novell-SUSE update site has put up
> >

> > Sep 15 2005
> > cairo
> > 249 kB
> > cairo 1.0.0: Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device
> > output support. Currently supported output targets include the X
> > Window System, in-memory image buffers, and PostScript. Cairo is
> > designed to produce identical output on all output media while
> > taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when available.
> > Source:
> >
> > [ditto cairo-devel --BA]
> >
> > Second:
> >
> > Query can or does anybody know if Scribus text / screen can be
> > sent to the currently developing KTTS?
> >
> > Bart Alberti
> > bart at solozone.com

Hi,

I am using/testing regularly the cairo enabled builds of CVS, mostly
to see what I can break :-)

So far, the only user visible benefits are better gradient display.

Upgrading cairo only seems to affect menu items for few Gnome or GTK
apps, which was a trivial fix. Upgrading is much less painful if you
have apt4rpm setup and optionally Synaptic.

That said, I would recommend if you are using Scribus for real work to
stick with 1.2.3 or 1.2.4cvs or the libart build which is default.

While I have not seen any instability issues at all, I honestly have
not wrung out all the bits, so suprises may lurk.

Just a cautionary warning... I hate to see anyone with busted docs or
systems unnecessarily.

KTTS: No idea to be honest.

Cheers,
Peter