[Scribus] Ligatures and "Expert Fonts" again

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Sep 22 01:26:56 CEST 2005

Hi Robert,

> LaTeX is fifteen years ahead... ;)

Yes, it is, and it was since its (or more precisely: TeX's) inception.
The simple reason is that the ingenious Prof. Knuth left the Ivory tower
of the University and learned the "black art" of typesetters. TeX is the
digital incarnation of more than 500 years of experience in typesetting.
Since you are a German, you would be surprised how many of our spelling
rules (at least before some bureaucrats decided to commit an act of
vandalism to them in 1996) are not guided by linguistic principles but
by aesthetical ones, found by typesetters over the centuries. The old
rule not to hyphenate "st", for instance, was established by
typesetters, because they found out that it made reading easier (and
spelling, as much as typography, is above all about ease of reading!).

Given that background, it seems almost natural to me that many or most
of InDesign's typographic features are to a large extent based on
TeX/LaTeX algorithms. This is, IMHO, the place to dig for the real
treasures of digital typography.

Cheers,

Christoph